SHOULD I BUY A GROUP I CAR SEAT WHEN MY CHILD HAS OUTGROWN THE INFANT CARRIER OR BETTER A COMBINATION CAR SEAT GROUP I/II/III?
Here we would like to offer some help for your decision making process:
BENEFITS OF A GROUP I CHILD CAR SEAT USING THE EXAMPLE OF CYBEX JUNO-FIX
- A Group I child seat is usually lower-priced compared to a combination car seat of Group I/II/III, because the period of usage is limited to approx. 3 years. It is homologated for one age/weight group only.
- It offers best protection tailored to the particular safety needs of children from approx. 9 months to 4 years (9-18 kg), when travelling forward-facing.
- Due to their special focus and specialisation, Group I car seats achieve excellent results in the categories collision safety, handling, and ergonomics in the most important European safety and consumer tests (JUNO-FIX = was awarded test winner in Group I by German Stiftung Warentest 6/2012 with an overall quality rating of 1.6. It is the only child car seat in Group I ever achieved the top mark “VERY GOOD” (1.4) in the category collision safety)
- Group I seats offer tailored comfort for children in this particular age group (air circulation system to provide a comfortable seating climate even on hot summer days).
- The ultra-lightweight of the Group I seats allow a quick and relaxed change of cars.
- First choice for parents who prefer a tailored car seat for their child.
- Most convenient as a second child car seat and for the grandparents, as it is extremely user-friendly and back-friendly because of the lightweight design.
BENEFITS OF A COMBINATION CAR SEAT OF GROUP I/II/III USING THE EXAMPLE OF PALLAS 2-FIX
- Slightly more expensive compared to a Group I car seat, but can be used for more than 11 years and offers two excellent seats of Group I and Group II/III in ONE.
- Comply with safety regulations for several ECE groups, and can therefore be used for a longer period of time.
- The PALLAS range has also achieved top results in the child car seat tests conducted by German Stiftung Warentest and Germany’s and Europe’s largest automobile club ADAC (PALLAS 2-FIX received a fantastic 1.9 “GOOD” rating by Stiftung Warentest 6/2011. The top rating in the category collision safety 1.7 is the best result ever awarded in Group I/II/III).
- The safety and comfort features are designed to meet the needs of children from approx. 9 months up to 12 years (9-36 kg): safety cushion and one-hand recline in Group I, reclining headrest, etc.
- The combination car seats have the ability to grow with the child for more than 11 years (11-position height adjustable headrest, removable seat insert, etc.)
- A simple conversion turns the Group I seat into an excellent Group II/III seat of the SOLUTION range (SOLUTION X2-FIX overall test rating 1.7 “GOOD” in the child car seat test conducted by German Stiftung Warentest and ADAC 6/2011. This is the best rating ever awarded by Stiftung Warentest in this Group II/III).
- First choice for parents who prefer a child car seat „for life“ after the child has outgrown the infant carrier.
- By choosing a combination car seat you can take turns in securing and travelling with children of different age and size. This could be interesting for grandparents, for example, having grandchildren of different ages.
PLEASE DO NOT SWITCH TOO EARLY FROM THE INFANT CARRIER TO A GROUP I OR GROUP I/II/III CHILD CAR SEAT
Babies and toddlers should be transported rear-facing for as long as possible. Doctors and accident researchers even recommend that children remain in rear-facing child seats until the age of 4. These child seats work like a protective shield protecting the sensitive head and neck area and reducing the risk of injury in a frontal collision. A baby’s head is equal to 25% of its overall body weight and the neck muscles and spine are still not fully developed. There is no need to move your child to a Group I seat or Group I/II/III combination seat if their feet are poking out of the bottom of the infant carrier or the child can sit up. However, if the head protrudes above the edge of the carrier and the baby weighs more than 13 kg, you should change seats immediately, as the most vulnerable part of the child’s body is not protected.
We wish you and your loved ones Merry Christmas. Enjoy your holidays.
Should you plan to take off for your skiing holiday, we wish you a good and safe journey. But, please be careful when wearing thick and heavy winter clothes in the car seat. The following link is going to give you some info why caution is advised and what can be done.
YOUR CYBEX CHILD SAFETY TEAM